Castle V

Belgium

Vurstjen

 

Castle Vurstjen is the first castle supposedly built by the lords of Gavere during the 12th century.

End 14th century it became the property of the St Bavo's Abbey and thus the residence of the abbots.

The establishment in 1560 became the diocese of Ghent, the castle was then owned by the bishops.

The castle was repeatedly repaired, renovated or rebuilt during the following centuries.

After the French Revolution in 1948 it was sold to the Belgian State to be the 'Schipper House for Children' (now called  'The Mill Ship') .

 

 

Current status: Protected patrimonium and under renovation

© All Rights Reserved.