ACEC Factory

SA Ateliers de Constructions Electriques de Charleroi (abbrev. ACEC) was a manufacturer of a wide range of electrical products and latterly manufactured the electrical parts for Belgian locomotives and multiple units constructed by BN.

ACEC's history began in 1885 when Julien Dulait founded the Société anonyme Électricité et Hydraulique à Charleroi. In its early years it manufactured dynamos, lifts, lighting equipment, electric traction motors for trams and drilling equipment.

By the early twentieth century the company was in difficulties and in 1904 it was taken over by baron Édouard Empain, becoming l'Ateliers de Constructions Electriques de Charleroi (ACEC).

Empain was involved in various infrastructure developments in Egypt and used ACEC to supply electricity systems to Egypt ACEC, along with Empain's other electrical industry interests, became part of the holding company Electrorail, founded in 1930 following Empain's death.

In 1947 ACEC merged with les Constructions Electriques de Belgique of Herstal becoming ACEC Herstal. In 1970 it became a member of the Westinghouse group.

ACEC was dismantled and its various operations sold off in 1989 and ceased to exist in 1992.

 

Status:

Demolished.


© All Rights Reserved.